Who am I?
Knowing yourself is the first, and a very critical step in the process of planning your future. How can you figure out what you want to do with your life if you don’t know:
What am I going to do with the rest of my life?
What is my dream job?
What do I enjoy doing?
What’s my passion?
What kind of career fits my personality?
In school you will have opportunities to create a personal profile based on interests, strengths, intelligences, accomplishments, values and skills, identify factors that will shape who you are and reflect on how your personal profile influences your thoughts and actions, which translates into your development as a learner, with relationships, in your education and your career/life choices.
How can you start to know yourself? Here are some ideas:
- Get the most out of each and every course you take – Which ones do you really enjoy, and which ones do you just try to “get through”?
- Look at the kinds of activities you enjoy – sports teams, clubs, volunteer work etc.
- Do you see any common themes in these activities, such as coaching, teaching, helping others in need, organizing events, data entry, etc?
- Try something new! Through a co-op experience, part-time job, a summer program, or job-shadow, test-drive a career area to see if it is the right fit for you.
- It’s hard to know unless you actually try it yourself!